July 27th
Picked up by a really friendly driver named PAUL who drove me for a 4 hour drive partially on paved roads and then it was on dirt and VERY bumpy roads to get to my first camp called the SELENAY CONSERVANCY and PORINI AMBOSELI CAMP…I was introduced to the camp host Tony and given a refreshing glass of apple juice.I was then taken to my "tent"….a very big tent with toilet and shower :-)…On the way to the camp we came across a few giraffes and MANY different birds…The camp is deep in the MASAI area and there is a big push to conserve the area based on a "community owned conservation"…It's just great to hear nothing but exotic birds instead of my daily dose of the OVEREA blvd firetruck sirens :-)
The afternoon we went to meet up with young Masai warriors and walked a bit to the village where we were met with the women singing.We were shown how they lived including a visit inside one of their "mud huts" which was mainly made with dung.We were also shown how they made fire and that the woman would make various "jewelry" and neck pieces.I was truly honoured that they would allow us into their small village and shown all this.The children were just adorable and so innocent since they haven't been "corrupted" with materialism that is predominant in the the rest of the industrialized world.The Masai are quite strict in keeping with long traditions….and they are quite happy for it ;-)
July 28th
Woke up at 6am and had a great breakfast.Myself and two young couples set out with our amazing 2 Masai guides in a 4by4 through the bush to the AMBOSELI NATIONAL PARK which is by the Tanzanian border.Throughout our drive in the park we saw many animals and birds.The elephants were great to observe and how they behaved with one another.THere were plenty of zebras and gazelles and impalas, giraffes and water buffalos.Lunch break was at an observation hill called NOOMOTIO overlooking the vast plain of the park.Mt Killmanjaro was not far away but the top 3rd of the mountain was clouded over so we couldn't really get to see how truly high it was.While having our lunch there was a bunch of young school kids (field trip I think) that came up and were quite curious and shy at the same time.They were amazing and I took some photos of a few of them.
After our lunch we continued our safari and then headed back to base camp for dinner and then later a night drive to see any nocturnal animals.We did see some hares and a wildcat.
At the end of the day I was quite tired and we all turned in.I woke up at midnight and heard various "chewing" sounds and cracking wood so I knew I had a beast behind my tent.This morning there was a giraffe eating some leaves in a tree as well.
July 29th
Today we had another awesome breakfast and then went out on foot from our camp where our Masai guides showed us animal tracks and identified them as well as any animal droppings.They also explained how certain birds would dig up the soil which allowed the rain water to be absorbed in the earth and replenish the soil.So in essence create a chain between animal, earth and people which the Masai totally understand.
After our short walk we had lunch and then a 2 hour rest.We then headed out at 4pm and saw some more animals and birds.We then went to a particular watering hole where we had a small snack and watched an awesome sunset.We also observed the zebras scooping the area before venturing to the water hole.What was really cool was that we saw a giraffe bolt and run for some reason and our Masai guide said that something must have "spooked" them.Well he quickly noticed in the far distance what all the fuss was about….a CHEETAH….so we quietly got back in our 4by4 and slowly headed over towards the cheetah….and oh MAN was he ever gorgeous….a truly beautiful animal :-)…We shone a red light on him and I got some pics of him….hopefully they will turn out ok when I edit my pics….So seeing that cat was quite the highlight of the evening to which we then proceeded back to our camp where we had an amazing dinner….oh and BTW the animal that was roaming around my tent last night?…was a giraffe….and he left his poop calling card in front of my tent LOL… hopefully that means it's a good luck sign :-P
Tomorrow morning I'm off to my new camp….the PORINI RHINO CAMP :-)
July 30th
Today was our last day at the AMBOSELI camp.We had breakfast and headed over to a nearby airport in the bush and went on our way to the PORINI RHINO CAMP and Ol PEJETE Conservancy.THis camp is located at the equator in Kenya south of Nairobi and is 6,200 feet above sea level…Well I don't have to tell you that it's pretty cool ( as in NOT warm at all) up here…I have my own 2 guides at this camp and so we went on an excursion in parts of the reserve after late lunch.The reserve itself if protected by the gov't and is 90,000 square acres.
Anyway as we were driving around the area it got WAY colder and there is a very strong wind so after I got my sunset shots with an elephant in the background I told my guides to high tale it BACK to the camp.Right now it's 7:30pm and still windy as hell.Luckily there is a campfire to get warm before dinner.
One thing I haven't mentioned that they do here is place a hot water bottle in the beds which I will DEFINITELY need tonite.
Tomorrow's plan is an early breakfast followed by another drive in the reserve.I just hope it's not as windy...
July 31st
THe wind overnight was quite strong to the point that I barely got any sleep because my tent was flapping constantly.In any event I got up at 6am and headed out at 6:30am with my 2 guides LITTLE JOHN and JACKSON.We encountered a lion pride with 2 females that were more curious then the males so they didn't run away like the others did.Later we saw 4 or 5 jackals eating a kill.Later on in our drive in the park we saw some WHITE RHINOS.Apparently they got the name WHITE RHINO due to the fact that they have "wide mouths" and that the word "wide" turned into "white" over time.White rhinos are grey like the black rhino that they also have at the park.Black rhinos are quite skittish and I hope that we will see one tomorrow.
Our evening drive was quite uneventful and didn't yield any descent sightings like the black rhino or our lions.But THIS time I wore layers of clothing and wore a lined poncho that the camp supplies which kept me warm during our evening drive.
I have one more day at the RHINO CAMP and will be out and about to see if I can get a pic of the elusive BLACK RHINO ;-)
Aug 1st
It was again a pretty windy night but I did manage to get a better night's rest since I anticipated the wind and flapping tent noises.The morning safari didn't really yield any new sightings and the afternoon outing was the same although we did see the black rhino which is a very shy animal.We also tried to see the wild dogs without any success.
I was alone at the camp today since one group left in the morning so I had a solo lunch by myself.Dinner was great because the commercial director for GAMEWATCHERS was here with his lovely wife and child and we sat down together for a very delicious meal. I learned some great facts about GAMEWATCHERS and what they are all about and he ended up giving me his business card to that I can relay the link to my pics when they are all edited.
Tomorrow morning I head out early to my next camp in the MASAI MARA and then to the LION CAMP.
Aug 2nd
My flight consisted of two stops with an hour and a half flight time but here I am…in the MASAI MARA…and it is BEAUTIFUL and LUSH.THere is wildlife everywhere and my guide Stanley assures me that I won't be disappointed :-).THe camp itself is the most beautiful I've seen so far…and it's WAY warmer and calmer then the RHINO CAMP.Apparently the LION CAMP and the PORINI CAMP are one in the same so I think I'll be here for the next 6 days or so (I'll have to confirm that with the camp manager)…RIght now it's about 12;30pm and lunch is being served at 1pm.All I hear are birds and wilder beast groaning LOL…THe view from my tent is somewhat obscured by vegetation but I've been told that the animals may wonder into camp :-)
Aug 3rd
Today was the BEST of my entire stay so far :-).We got up and headed out at around 5:30am.Our guide was driving us around the conservancy looking for lions and cheetah.We did stumble upon one female lion that was in hunting mode and so we pulled away to see if she would go after any of the wilder beast (gnus) but she wondered to a shaded area where a male lion was sleeping…absolutely AMAZING :-).After that encounter we drove to a spot and had a picnic breakfast.We packed up and drove around to find a female cheetah and her cubs.We eventually found her and her 5….yes FIVE cubs….who were only 5 months old.Oh man that was amazing to watch.Mamma would lie around while ALL five cubs were playing and chasing each other around a tree…We stayed nearby to see what mamma cheetah would do and soon enough she would get up and start staking some impalas nearby.WHat was SO amazing is that the cubs would follow and copy/mimic
mamma cheetah…it was INCREDIBLE to watch because the various animals around would be aware and even the monkeys would start making noise…sort of like sounding an alarm in which the wilder beast would move away as well as the impalas.It was truly fascinating to watch.We followed momma and cubs to some shaded bushes and left her alone.THAT was just awesome to witness first hand how a cheetah would stalk its prey.
Just when I thought this day couldn't get any better, we went off in search of the lions we saw earlier in the day and the mamma cheetah and her cubs.Well not 10 minutes into the drive we found the lioness and male lion…laying down napping next to their kill…a wilderbeast…We parked next to them not 15 or so feet away and just watched as the male got up and dragged his prey about 10 feet and started to feed…we were in awe for an hour at the power this lion had in ripping apart and breaking bone as he was eating around the rib cage area.Fifteen minutes or so later he "allowed" the female to eat…So after about an hour we decided to venture off looking for the mamma cheetah but did not locate her and figured she was in the bush hiding her cubs from any nighttime predators.
What an amazing day :-)….
Aug 4th
This morning we set off for the MASAI MARA nature reserve to witness the famous wilderbeast (Gnu) crossing of the MASAI MARA river.Well it seems that a LOT of people want to witness this huge event so there were over 50 or so SUVs.We wondered over to the river and waited….and waited….and….WAITED….the Gnus don't keep a schedule so it's the luck of the draw that you pics the right spot.The problem is that you have to park far enough away as to not spook the Gnus otherwise they just stand there making their grunting like MOO calls.
Well after a half hour we drove over to an area where we saw the Gnus crossing but in the wrong direction.We witnessed this twice.It seems they do this sometimes.We deiced to have our picnic lunch while we waited for the REAL event.We waited about an hour and finally one of our guides suggested we re-locate to another potential sweet spot where they might cross.Well not sooner had we gone to another spot I spotted one Gnu making the "leap" of faith and then it BEGAN!!!
What a spectacle…we were REALLY lucky to have an awesome spot to witness the crossing because there were numerous vehicles that began to appear.We watched THOUSANDS of Gnus make the crossing.Luckily for them they had picked a descent spot to cross with no crocodiles to eat the weak/sick/old…I just couldn't believe our luck that we had driven up JUST as they began to cross :-)
Just another truly great day :-)
Aug 5th
This morning I had another awesome breakfast and then got all packed up for my final "camp" called the LION CAMP.I have been with this awesome Ausie couple throughout my stay at the MASAI MARA camp and we were driven to the LION CAMP and arrived in time to unpack and have a lunch.We met our 2 guides "Little John" and Jackson.
The drive to our camp once we got into the conservancy was really beautiful.The area is quite lush and teaming with wildlife.So we were eager to venture out into the conservancy.Once we ate we got into our "Landy" (Land Rover0 and not even 10 minutes we cam open a BEAUTIFUL lion pride with 7 lion cubs.OMG my heart melted :-)…We stayed there for 30 or so minutes watching the cubs play and play fighting…It was just amazing…There were a couple of females who spilt the "mom" duties.After that we drove for another 10-15 minutes and came upon ANOTHER pride of lions with 4 more mature cubs almost fully grown.THey were mostly tired and napping.
Soon after it started to rain and the lions went into the bushes for some cover and so we left and drove around for a bit and then headed back for a nice shower and then dinner.
OH I almost forgot to mention….even BEFORE running into the lions we was a LEOPARD up a tree near its kill of a Thompson gazelle.Seeing this cat made my list complete of animals I wanted to photograph and see.Leopards are NOTORIOUS for being elusive so seeing one AND seeing it feed on a kill was truly awesome :-)…
Tomorrow we head off early with a picnic breakfast later in the early morning.Hopefully we see more amazing animals :-)
Aug 6th
This morning we headed out to check out another lion pride….which we found and spend a while enjoying how the cubs were play fighting.We drove around and had another picnic breakfast of sausages, eggs, pancakes and various fruit :-)…We drove around after that and saw numerous other birds and wildlife.We returned for another delicious lunch and met a few more people at our camp.The afternoon was spent downloading photos/videos and napping until our next outing at 4pm til 7:30.The sunsets here are absolutely stunning with a few local showers to give it a more dramatic look and colour.For dinner we were treated with a MASAI dance and chant because the Ausie couple I was hanging out with at this and the previous camp were celebrating their anniversary .So the chef made them a cake and the MASAI's just made it more awesome :-).
My night was rather noisy because there was a rhino just outside my tent munching away and knocking over a few rocks that lined the path to my tent.I also heard Hyenas and a jackal "barking" lol…
Throughout my adventure I have learned a TON about various animal behaviours including how you would call various animal groups….for example…. a group of elephants is a "parade"…a group of Giraffe is a "journey" or "tower"….a group of male Cheetahs is a "collusion" …. a group of female cheetahs and cubs is a "chase"…a group of hippos is a "raft"….They didn't have a name for a group of buffalos so my Ausie friends made up one…called a "battle" of buffalo….and for Mongoose they decided to call then a "myriad" of mongoose LOLOL :-)
Tomorrow my Ausie friends are departing and I will miss their company.They are off to climb Kilimanjaro….Hopefully they will make it to the top…I gave them my card so that they can keep in touch on Facebook and to let me know that they had actually MADE it to the top.
I have met so many amazing people and made new international friends :-)
Aug 7th
This morning my Ausie pals and I set off for a morning safari and picnic breakfast.Along the way we saw 2 male cheetahs resting in the shade.They looked so regal and beautiful.Probably my have wild cat at this conservancy.We also saw another pride of lions enjoying their kill.
Later the Ausie couple were dropped off and picked up by another vehicle and taken to the airstrip for their adventure.So I was left alone with my two amazing Masai guide "Big John" and Jackson.We drove around to look for a leopard cub that they know about but we didn't find it.We did come across a male and female lion mating which I photographed ;-) lol….
Went out again for my "sundowner" with a new older couple from Calgary.We came across the lion pride with the 7 cubs.They are always fun to watch and photograph :-).
Came back for my last dinner and now packing up MOST of my stuff for my departure tomorrow.I get up early for a morning safari and then on the way to the local air strip, I'll be dropped off for my 10am flight back to Nairobi and stay at a "day room" at EKA hotel and then my flight to Paris at 11:05 pm…
I have to say that the things I have seen was WAY beyond what I had expected.I was lucky in SO many ways like having the BEST guides and witnessing the famous wilder beast crossing at the MASAI river (some people didn't get to see it because the GNUs didn't co-operate )…The food was impeccable and consistently amazing :-).The Masai warrior guides and Masai staff were the most nicest people and we were treated like royalty
I will never forget this trip and maybe someday return to Kenya…or Africa in general.
Aug 8th
Well it had to come to an end sooner or later :-(…Got up early this morning for my last safari and picnic breakfast.I figured that I had seen SO much that I had packed my camera gear but not my point&shoot…just in case….well was I ever WRONG!!!!….My flight was at 11am so we had 4 hours or so to drive around and see if my guides can find another leopard who was the mother of the first leopard I had seen up a tree…and THIS one had a cub….so we drove over to where she was spotted and sure enough she was sleeping behind a few bushes on a rock.I had to dig out my DSLR and zoom to get the shot :-)….next we drove over to see if her cub was where she left her and SURE ENOUGH….there she was eating a Thompson gazelle….but she was so shy that she dashed back down the tree and took off in the bushes so I could not get a photo :-(…but at least I saw the 2 leopards and the cub…We soon got word that 2 male lions were chasing a younger male lion out of their territory so we intercepted and I got some AMAZING photos of the 2 dominant males trotting after the other male lion and grunting along the way….now THAT was awesome…..but….it gets even better (or not depending on your point of view), we came across a pack of hyenas that had JUST killed a one day old giraffe.It was heart wrenching because mama giraffe was trying to scare the hyenas away but there were too many :-(….You could tell she was in distress because she would run away and run back to try and save her newborn…Nature can be beautiful and yet ugly but that is typical in the plains of Kenya.
Anyway I was able to catch my short flight from there to the local airport in Nairobi where I was picked up and driven to EKA hotel.I've got a "day room" until 7pm (it's now 2pm)…
I did manage to get an aisle seat when I checked in online but it's in "economy" (Air France).I'll see what my options are once I get to the ticket counter ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment